Saturday, July 25, 2009

Autism Update

I've been receiving a lot of questions about when I'll know more about CJ and his possible diagnosis. We will be having a series of four appoints that span til December.

Our first one is August 21. It is with the speech therapist. I'm not too worried about this one. Last year CJ had been working with the best Speech Therapist and I know he has some speech issues. Those of you that talk to CJ also know that as well. I'm becoming more and more fluent in his garbled vocabulary.

The second and third are in October. Cotober 2 is with the Developmental Pediatrician. This one makes me a little uncomfortable. I know that CJ is developing at a slower rate. He will turn 5 two weeks following that appointment and I know that he can't do a lot of the things he's "supposed" to. October 21 is the Occupation Therapist appointment. This one I'm not too worried about.

December 22nd is going to the be the doozy of the appointments. It's with a psychologist and it's going to be anywhere from 3-5 hours. I'm praying that the psychologist is easy to talk to and work with and also doesn't make me feel down right dumb. I know what I see in my child and I know how he acts and talks...just because he doesn't do everything at that moment doesn't mean it doesn't happen! Sorry about that, there's been a past with doctors that do that. Anyway, this will be the hardest appointment for me. Thankfully my mom is going to be able to come.

I've been keeping a list of things that I notice about CJ that I believe are not "right". I feel like I'm almost grieving. At first I was mad then I went to denial. After I scheduled all the appointments I thought "he's fine, he doesn't need these" then I went back to mad. I was viewing this as something that was done to me and finally, I got smacked in the face. This isn't happening to me, it's happening to CJ. God knows that I'm a strong person and that I can handle this and that's why he's chosen me to take CJ on this journey. I'll admit, it's very hard still and I'm getting tired of waiting but in the end it's going to be worth it.

Sorry this post is so long...It all needs to get out there! If you have advice or words or wisdom please send them my way. I've talked to a couple of mothers of younger, high functioning Austistic boys and they have been such a help.

No comments: